Harmful effects of household cleaners on children and unborn babies

author
3 minutes, 42 seconds Read

Many people often find themselves cleaning their homes like crazy because they want to make sure their home is clean for their children. Unfortunately, most people are unaware of the harmful toxins found in many household cleaning products. Many mothers and fathers find themselves using bleach to clean items purchased at yard sales, or even to clean walls or bathrooms. Why don’t they? I mean the bottle doesn’t say how toxic it is! All the manufacturer cares about is making parents think the product does a good job of killing germs, so as parents we buy them. They fail to alert users to the toxins contained in these cleaning products. Most parents find themselves cleaning cribs, toys, and floors with cleaning products that leave behind more toxins than they are cleaning because the laws do not require these companies to warn consumers!

Here are some great facts about household cleaning products commonly found in many homes around the world today! Common household cleaners contain formaldehyde, phenol, benzene and toluene, all of which have been linked to cancer and toxicity to the immune system. Children are extremely vulnerable to chemical poisons. Per pound of body weight, children drink more water, eat more food, and breathe more air than adults. This means that children are more likely than adults to be exposed to any toxic substances present.

Most young children spend most of the day putting things in their mouths. Especially toddlers, who seem to put anything they can get their hands on in their mouths. In 1998, scientists at Rutgers University discovered that pesticides sprayed in homes evaporate from floors and carpets and recondense on plastic and foam objects like pillows and stuffed toys. By observing how often a group of preschool children put clean toys in their mouths, the researchers calculated that contaminated toys could deliver higher doses of poison to young children than adults in the same environment.

Babies don’t excrete pollutants or store them in fat like adults, making it easier for toxins to affect a rapidly growing body. In addition, because the baby’s immune system is not fully functioning, the baby’s body is not able to resist the sterilizing effect like an adult. In adults, the blood-brain barrier insulates the brain from many potentially harmful chemicals circulating in the body. But in human children, this barrier is not fully developed until six months after birth.

Pregnant women can also pass toxins from common cleaners to their unborn children! Many pollutants, such as dioxins and PCBs, have an affinity for adipose tissue. During pregnancy, women mobilize their large body fat stores to nourish their growing babies; pollutants in the fat are then passed on to their children. Nursing mothers also transfer a significant portion of the chemicals they accumulate over a lifetime to their babies.

Children exposed in utero are at greatest risk. Because cellular structures change so rapidly during embryonic and fetal growth, exposure to toxic substances at the wrong moment can permanently alter further development. According to Dr. Landrigan, the central nervous system is particularly vulnerable. To function properly, the developing brain must lay down an intricate network of interconnected neurons. Small doses of neurotoxins during critical periods of brain development can alter those key neural pathways — one mistake early on, and the brain can be forever altered in subtle or severe ways. Government and university scientists are currently investigating the possibility of a link between fetal exposure to toxic substances and developmental disorders such as attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD).

You as a parent should care about this! Cleaning your home with toxic products is actually wrecking your child’s body and fueling changes to cancer and other life-threatening health problems.

Even if you didn’t know anything about this worry, before you just read this, now is the time to take action! You can start by using only non-toxic cleaning products! Get rid of any products that are not environmentally friendly. If a product is eco-friendly, it means it’s safe in your home! If it’s safe to keep in your home, it’s safe to use without fear of harmful effects!

access [http://www.safewellnessproducts.com/] Check out our full selection of all natural and eco-friendly home care products today. All Cleaning Supplies products are non-toxic, natural, concentrated, phosphate-free and biodegradable formulas! This means they can be kept safely in your home. Concentrated cleaning products last longer than store-bought products, so you’ll save money and rid your home of toxins!

Similar Posts

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *