There are 39 days until Christmas, 32 days until Hanukkah, 8 days until Thanksgiving and three days until Chicago’s favorite Christmas market reopens: Christkindl Market in Chicago 2022.
Christkindlmarket, Chicago’s marquee winter tradition, will soon swing into the area for its annual comeback. The famous German-style market offers visitors the chance to buy handmade artisan goods and taste international food while listening to festive tunes.
“Unique shopping experience, lively entertainment and original food and drinks like mulled wine imported from Germany, called Glühwein, make Christkindlmarket a favorite and popular destination,” said the organizers.
Here are four things to know as one of the city’s most beloved holiday markets gets ready to kick off the 2022 season.
There are three Christkindlmarket locations
Christkindlmarket offers three Chicago area locations: Wrigleyville, Chicago, and Aurora, about an hour’s drive from the city. Each location has different events, entertainment and musical performances. Hours of operation are below.
RiverEdge Park: 360 N. Broadway, Aurora
- Thursday: 11 am-7 pm
- Friday and Saturday: 11 am-9 pm
- Sunday – 11 am-6 pm
- special hours December 19 to December 21: 11 am-7 pm
- Thanksgiving and Christmas Eve: 11 am-4 pm
Daley Plaza: 50 W. Washington St., Chicago
- Sunday to Thursday: 11 am-8 pm
- Friday and Saturday: 11 am-9 pm
- special hours Thanksgiving and Christmas Eve: 11 am-4 pm
Wrigleyville: 3635 N. Clark St., Gallagher Road, Chicago
- Monday to Thursday: 3 pm-9 pm
- Friday and Saturday: 11 am-10 pm
- Sunday: 11 am-7 pm
- Special hours for Thanksgiving, Christmas Eve and New Year’s Eve: 11 am-4 pm
- special hours 26-29. December: 11 am-9 pm
Christkindlmarkets Officially Open Friday
Besides 109 Annual Chicago Christmas Tree Lighting ceremony, all Christkindlmarkets will be open Friday, November 18.
Locations at RiverEdge Park and Daley Plaza wrap up Christmas Eve, while the market at Gallagher Road continues for a little while longer. The last day was New Year’s Eve.
Admission is free. Food, drinks and events can be more.
Every Year, the Market Presents Special Souvenir Mugs
Christkindlmarket-goers can always office home with a collectible souvenir: holiday ay mug.
This year, the mug comes in a curved shape and has a scene of people holding hands, celebrating winter in the market. According to the organizer, it draws inspiration from Chicago’s “Year of Dancecelebration, focus throughout the city on the industry that has been unfolding throughout the year.
In the backdrop of the skyline, the mug highlights iconic landmarks. Sites like Marina Towers, Willis Tower, Hotel Zachary and Paramount Theater can be seen.
The market also rolled out cups dedicated to non-alcoholic beverages. This year’s character is a dancing penguin dressed in traditional German dress.
This is one of the Top Christmas Markets in the Country
According to the list, Christmas markets are ranked on a number of factors, the travel site said, including variety of vendors, entertainment, local traditions, social media popularity and Big 7 Travel writer recommendations and previous awards.
Here’s what markets rounded out the top 10:
- Christkindlmarket Chicago – Chicago, Illinois
- Koziar’s Christmas Village – Bernville, Pennsylvania
- The Great Dickens Christmas Fair – San Francisco, California, USA
- Christkindlmarkt – Leavenworth, Washington
- Union Square Holiday Market – New York City, New York
- Atlanta Christkindle Market – Atlanta, Georgia
- Christkindl Market – Arlington, Texas
- Charlotte Christmas Village – Charlotte, North Carolina
- Victoria Christmas Market – Nevada City, California
- People’s Gas Holiday Market – Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania